May 14, 2012

Monday's Lesson: Paisley 101

It is COLD! I have my hands wrapped around a cup of coffee just so they can thaw out enough for me to type without the message getting lost between my brain and my fingers! I know any of you overseas are thinking ‘but wait a minute isn’t she Australian and a Queenslander at that’ well before you go checking my ‘About Me’ go check the weather, it is cold!

So anyway let’s talk Paisley! Paisley for me conjures up images of heavily intricate, rust, mustard coloured patterns on throws and bedding in front of a fireplace, maybe that is why I wanted to write about it tonight! It is a stunning pattern with an interesting history. Resembling a twisted tear drop, Paisley can be incredibly intricate and colourful or plain, simple and elegant. A traditional Indian pattern, Paisley was introduced to Europe in the first half of the 17th century [interesting fact number 1: some Baltic states used it is a protective charm to ward off evil demons!].

With the onset of early textile printing, manufactures in Marseilles France began to mass produce the pattern for the European market as the East India Company couldn’t keep up with demand  [interesting fact number 2: due to an overwhelming mass of the pattern on the market the print was banned by French royal decree in 1686-1759]. 

Paisley is actually the patterns western name, derived from the town of Paisley in central Scotland. However in India the pattern is known as Mankilam, Persia as Boteh Jegheh and referred to as Persian pickles by quilt makers and Welsh pears in Welsh textiles. Today, Paisley no longer conjures images of the sixties with pattern layer upon layer but as a sophisticated pattern addition to any interior, fire place or not.

Stunning colour combination large scale Paisley. Not sure about the green occasional chair in the mix but I do love that little settee with it's shape and that pattern!
If this was my Kelly Green tone I would have it tomorrow! I love the detail, the framing on the bedspread, border on the valance and box pleats on the pelmet and of course the simple, spaced out contemporary Paisley.

Schumacher Paisley. Love the tone on tone!

This to me is what I initially think of when it comes to Paisley, beautiful soft rust, mustard and ochre colours. Traditional sophistication.

I am super symmetrical so this I love for that reason alone, let alone the fact it is awesome! Love the use of the Paisley as a bedhead drape and the colour is sensatonal, great accents.

Vanessa Arbuthnott hand printed Paisley fabric.

For more gorgeous ways to include Paisley in your interiors check out my Pinterest Page http://pinterest.com/bobbinscissors/pattern-101-paisley/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...