February 13, 2012

Monday's Lesson: Pattern 101 Houndstooth

Yes, I know it makes you automatically think David Jones but trust me; Houndstooth, Dogtooth or even its baby version, Puppytooth (how cute!) can be a great vintage pattern to throw in the mix.

The easily recognisable pattern, Houndstooth is two tonal and made up of distinctive broken checks and abstract, four-pointed shapes. The pattern's name originated from its resemblance to the jagged back teeth of hound dogs, and was traditionally a woven black and white wool cloth of the Scottish Lowlands. In the 1930s and 40s Houndstooth was a popular pattern not only for suiting but for home upholstery and drapery. Today many fabric houses produce Houndstooth as a staple item in varying sizes and colours, even combining with other patterns such as checks and plaids.

Sensational yellow Houndstooth. Love the scale and the repetition of the pattern on the scatters and throw.
Duralee Winthrop Collection Houndstooth in Buttercup

This would be my favourite Houndstooth! Love the break in the traditional two tonal rule.
Etamine Houndstooth


Love the contrast of the strong geometric Houndstooth against the soft floral.

Large scale pink Houndstooth available through www.interiordecorating.com

Kravet Basics Houndstooth / Plaid

Traditional black and white Houndstooth. Love the seating idea and also the splash of pink to break it up.
Casamance Constantine Hounstooth
If you’re interested in more ways to incorporate Houndstooth patterns into your decorating, check out my Pinterest board http://pinterest.com/bobbinscissors/pattern-101-houndstooth/


2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm Pamela and I'm a fabric addict too!

    LOVE LoVe love the houndstooth fabrics on your blog. I'm searching for a large pink houndstooth. Thank you for the source. I too adore that photo with the pink and orange houndstooth chair! Soooooooo cute!

    I haven't begun checking out your other entries, but I will. I'd love to follow your blog by email updates but don't see how to sign up.

    Love the post! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,

    You have just made my day! Thank you so much for your lovely comments.

    Unfortunately however I have stopped posting on this blog. I still love my fabrics but have moved onto another project. I hope that everything I compiled during my time posting is enough to keep you entertained for some time.

    Again thanks so much and glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...